How did I not know of this amazing celebration day?!
Blueberry pie has ALWAYS been my most adored dessert. One of my mom’s favorite stories to tell about me is the time they left us with a babysitter and a sheet of blueberry pie….and came back to find half of the pie gone (and I had diarrhea for 2 days, can’t forget THAT part, haha!). And let’s not leave out how I celebrated my 30th birthday…my hubby brought balloons and blueberry pie to my hospital room…after giving birth to our first baby. He remembered! Ah, my love for this amazing fruit pie has always been strong.
So, needless to say, as soon as I saw a post about it being #nationalblueberrypieday, I jumped out of my seat and started searching for a recipe to whip up today! A quick stop at the grocery store for blueberries (they are NOT in season here!) and we are all set!
Why this one is a winner:
- NO-BAKE (hello?! the easier the better for this momma!)
- only 5 ingredients for the filling – music to my ears!
- Gluten free – hello, happy tummy!
But to stay consistent with my 21DSD, I found this gem, Fresh Blueberry Crumble:
- 2 pints of fresh blueberries (use 4 green apples, sliced, for the 21DSD)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup almond meal/almond flour
- 1/4 cup chopped macadamia or walnuts
- 1/4 cup melted butter (or coconut oil for dairy-free)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (omit for the 21DSD)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 pinches of sea salt